- Be persistent: I know more than anyone how annoying it is sending copious amounts of emails out, but seriously don't give up! Send them out literally every week, and they'll soon see how determined you are. It's a great nugget of advice, and one I'll be doing all the time now.
- Twitter: Odd I know, but Twitter really is one of the best social networking sites to gain some fantastic contacts. Flick through any glossy magazine, and you're bound to see the famous "follow me on twitter", under many Editor's Letter. Trust me, signing up to Twitter will be one thing you won't regret.
- Stand out from the crowd: When sending out emails, say something completely different. Make yourself appear a little unique, and get them thinking. Instead of just writing about yourself, and attaching a CV, also write about how you're the best tea maker in the world, and how many magazines you've collected since you could start reading! (ha!). It'll be a refreshing change for the people that have to read them all!
- Don't get jealous: Okay, so your friends have all managed to bag some work experience, and people on Twitter are forever going on about that fantastic month spent at Company Magazine, but seriously, don't let it bother you! Everyone is different, and everyone has different luck, so just rise about it. Your time will come, so don't see this as a sign that you will never be in their position; because you will!!
- Blogging: Probably the best advice I've ever been given. Blogging is the one chance to show off to everyone how good a writer you really are, and to show what you can do. You never know who will come across it, and who knows, someone might be looking for something, and you could fit the bill perfectly. Don't see blogging as a chore, or something like homework/coursework. It's fun, exciting, different and super fab for your future career!
I know how hard it is to get work experience, and to actually get a reply from someone, but after getting all of this advice, I'm definitely going to keep trying! Fingers crossed, and if anyone else manages to get some, let me know :)