Sunday 17 October 2010

Put into perspective

There is always going to be certain things throughout our lives that will put everything into perspective, and make us stop and think how lucky we really are. We may moan sometimes about a stressful day at University or work, or if it's raining outside and our hair will get messed up, but I can honestly say that I've never had anything worthwhile to moan about. The only dreadful thing that's happened to me was when my parents split up this February just gone; I felt like my world had caved in and I honestly didn't know what to do, but it's okay now. I've gotten through it, and I've come out the other side. I guess the reason I'm writing this particular post is because there are times when I just think to myself, 'are we taking things for granted more than usual?'.

I guess I've had times where I've taken what I have for granted, but not to the extent where I walk around like a little princess, and have no consideration for where it was from, or who gave it to me. I fully believe in treating people how you would like to be treated, because manners really do cost nothing. It infuriates me when I watch 'My Sweet 16', because I find it unbelievable that parents give their daughters/sons everything they ask for. If they want a brand new car, they've got it. If they demand a new wardrobe, it's there in a flash. There are no thank you's, no please's, and certainly no gratitude. Where the hell is the respect?

Do these parents really think that their children are going to grow up to respect them?! They will continue to treat them all like a piece of rubbish, and it really wouldn't surprise me if they didn't move out until they were 30. I believe that you should move out of the house when you are fully independent, and start to learn to stand on your own two feet. There is nothing wrong with learning to cook, clean, pay bills, and live by yourself. It paves the way for when you get married and have children of your own.

If you are continuing to live with your parents until you are an adult yourself, then you will never learn to move on. People like this take things for granted way too much, and I definitely think it's time for it to stop. When I am a parent, I will certainly be making sure my children learn how to look after themselves. There are thousands of children all over the world who are not as lucky as us, and would die to have a decent meal, let alone a brand new car bought for them.

If these princesses started to think about others, instead of just themselves, then maybe this world really would be a better place. Give to charity, volunteer, and donate. With all the clothes, shoes and handbags that half of these girls have, well, I'm sure they wouldn't miss one or two.


2 comments:

  1. I agree with this post in some respects, but I don't always think children who are older and who live with their parents automatically means they are spoiled or feel entitled. I am 28 and I live with my parents because i have a chronic pain disorder and couldn't get out of bed most days for real. I dont have a job currently because its hard for me to work and my parents do pay for most of my thing but I wouldn't say I am spoiled or feel entitled. It really depends on the situation and the person.
    I do agree that people take things for granted and complain about things that really don't matter. Ive learned that the hard way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't think that this particular post was aimed at everyone that still lived at home; I know I didn't outline that but it really wasn't. It's just aimed at people that I know who still live at home, and sponge off their parents. I fully understand that there are people who have perfectly good reasons to still be living with their parents, you included, and that's something I totally understand.

    As you can see throughout the post, it's really aimed as well at that silly programme. So yes, it's a blog post just talking about the minority of people that just can't be bothered.

    ReplyDelete